Luz Meridional (Southern Light)
A CD with bonus DVD. Luz Meridional was composed by Andrián Pertout for pianist Michael Kieran Harvey. Comprising 24 solo piano études each piece contains a quotation from an early Australian composer.
The bonus DVD-ROM contains video of seven of the études, a short documentary about the work, and various PDF documents and scores about Luz Meridional, including a long analytical essay by Arjun von Caemmerer. These can be copied from the DVD to your computer.
The quotations from the Australian composers utilise and transform this material in various ways: contrapuntal procedures, formal structures, pointillism, time point sets, tempo canons, combinatoriality, imitation, linear additive composition models, ornamentation, ostinato, quotations, rhyme schemes, serialism, inversions and palindromes, interval exploration, reharmonization, additive rhythms, bell ringing sequences, De Bruijn sequences, isorhythms, metric modulations, non-retrogradable rhythms, polyrhythms, True Random Number Generators, etc.
Australian pianist and composer, Dr Michael Kieran Harvey FAHA, is one of the foremost interpreters of contemporary piano music of his generation. A champion of Australian music and himself a composer, he regularly commissions new Australian music and has performed with Australia's leading contemporary music ensembles and orchestras.
“Rarely do I hear a new work that is so strong and meaningful and as full of so many delights as Andrián Pertout’s monumental piano work Luz Meridional. This is singularly one of the most important piano compositions ever written by an Australian composer. For me it ranks with the best works of Larry Sitsky and Richard Meale for intellectual approach, musical insight and sheer joy. Opening with Nino durmiente, a music that seduces with its innocence ... Elegia creates a sound-world that demands the utmost concentration ... Retrospectivo is a standout with rapidly moving notes evoking starlight and other ‘nightsky’ phenomena ... the movements are laid out in just the right order creating a perfect balance between the sombre and the introspective and the energetic. The performer on this CD, Michael Kieran Harvey, is the not only one of the finest pianists ever in Australia but one of a handful of ‘cultural warriors for the good’. He takes on challenging music and makes it a thrill for the audience. Playing Luz Meridional MKH draws forth varying textures and colours that allow the work to take on a life of its own. This is pianism of the highest order.”Read full review
— Alan Holley, classikon
“The works are fiercely virtuosic and empty extended techniques including muting, plucking and strumming of the piano strings. Luz Meridional was written for Michael Kieran Harvey, a pianist renowned for both his technical prowess and eagerness to embrace exploratory new works.” ★★★★
— Lisa MacKinney , Limelight
“Written for Harvey, the piece naturally exploits his strengths, notably the ability to play superhumanly fast and loud. Pertout, though, skilfully organises the cycle (alphabetically by composer) so that there is plenty of contrast. The dreamy ostinatos of the opening Niño durmiente (a homage to Roy Agnew) make a fine foil to the increasingly urgent terse pointillistic gestures of Encentro, derived from John Antill’s Corroboree; the comparative sparseness of the Don Banks-inspired Diversión, with its background pedal-notes and foreground explosions of fiortura, is likewise set off by the moto perpetuo of the Balada after Arthur Benjamin. The piece is massive in conception and execution, a credit to both composer and performer.”
— Gordon Kerry, Music Trust Loud Mouth e-zine
- Niño durmiente: Homenaje a Roy Agnew Andrián Pertout
- Encuentro: Homenaje a John Antill Andrián Pertout
- Diversión: Homenaje a Don Banks Andrián Pertout
- Balada: Homenaje a Arthur Benjamin Andrián Pertout
- Poema sinfónico: Homenaje a Clive Douglas Andrián Pertout
- Danza de guerra: Homenaje a Peggy Glanville-Hicks Andrián Pertout
- Caleidoscopio: Homenaje a Eugene Goossens Andrián Pertout
- Canción colonial: Homenaje a Percy Grainger Andrián Pertout
- Nostalgia: Homenaje a Raymond Hanson Andrián Pertout
- El bosque: Homenaje a Fritz Hart Andrián Pertout
- Melancolía: Homenaje a Marjorie Hesse Andrián Pertout
- Retrospectivo: Homenaje a Alfred Hill Andrián Pertout
- Meditación: Homenaje a Mirrie Hill Andrián Pertout
- Elegía: Homenaje a Dulcie Holland Andrián Pertout
- Síntesis: Homenaje a Robert Hughes Andrián Pertout
- Bagatela: Homenaje a Keith Humble Andrián Pertout
- En la piscina: Homenaje a Frank Hutchens Andrián Pertout
- El anillo de nuevas campanas: Homenaje a Miriam Hyde Andrián Pertout
- Fantasma del mar: Homenaje a Horace Keats Andrián Pertout
- Gloria: Homenaje a Louis Lavater Andrián Pertout
- Despedida: Homenaje a Dorian Le Gallienne Andrián Pertout
- Tres bosquejos: Homenaje a William Lovelock Andrián Pertout
- Himno para la muerte de Jesús: Homenaje a James PenberthySeis perfiles Homenaje a Margaret Sutherland Andrián Pertout
- Seis perfiles: Homenaje a Margaret Sutherland Andrián Pertout
- Michael Kieran Harvey · piano
Andrián Pertout was born in Santiago, Chile, 17 October, 1963, and lived in Gorizia, Northern Italy for several years before finally settling in Melbourne, Australia in 1972. In 2007, he completed a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree at the University of Melbourne on Tweddle Trust, Australian Postgraduate and Melbourne Research scholarships, studying composition under the guidance of Brenton Broadstock.
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Release date
- November 2018
- © 2016 Move Records
- ℗ 2018 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3435
- EAN 9314574343526