A Baroque Christmas
The music on this CD is a historical Christmas “pick of the pops”, from the late 1400s to the end of the Baroque period. Directed by Douglas Lawrence, the Australian Chamber Choir offers a program recorded live in concert during their 2019 European tour. The 17 tracks are drawn from from lesser-known seasonal works, championing a sublime repertoire that is all too often neglected.
Appropriate for all-year-round listening. In Europe through the centuries, Christmas has been marked with vibrant and joyous music making. Serious composers have competed to write music with maximum popular appeal for adults and children alike.
The Australian Chamber Choir was founded by Douglas Lawrence in July 2007.
Melbourne organist Douglas Lawrence is Director of Music at The Scots' Church and Teacher of the Organ at the University of Melbourne and was the founding director of Choir of Ormond College, a position he held from 1982 to 2006.
“The ACC is at the forefront of the European choral tradition and not just here in Australia but on its regular European tours ... There is a wonderful honesty and excitement to all the performances as they are recordings from live performances ... One of my favourite tracks is the totally happy and boppy Halleluja, freuet euch by Andreas Hammerschmidt. This is music to make you want to get up and dance and sing from the rooftops and there are delightfully appropriate solos from tenors Anish Nair and Stewart Webb and bass Lucas Wilson-Richter.”Read full review
— Alan Holley, classikon
- Ave Maria Josquin Des Prez
- Missa Pange Lingua Gloria Josquin Des Prez
- O Magnum Mysterium (Victoria) Tomás Luis de Victoria
- O Magnum Mysterium (Gabrieli) Giovanni Gabrieli
- Resonet in Laudibus Johannes Eccard
- Hodie, Christus Natus Est Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
- Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her Martin Luther
- In dulci jubilo Samuel Scheidt
- Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen Michael Praetorius
- Singt und klingt Michael Praetorius
- Ein Kind geborn zu Bethlehem Michael Praetorius Bartholomäus Gesius
- Halleluja, freuet euch, ihr Christen alle Andreas Hammerschmidt
- O Jesulein süß, BWV 493 Johann Sebastian Bach
- Pastorale in F Major, BWV 590 (Pastorale), (Allegro) Johann Sebastian Bach
- Lobet den Herrn alle Heiden Johann Sebastian Bach
- In dulci jubilo, BWV 368 Johann Sebastian Bach Johann Walter
- The Angel Gabriel from heaven came (Traditional)
Johann Sebastian Bach was a German composer, organist, harpsichordist, violist, and violinist whose sacred and secular works for choir, orchestra, and solo instruments drew together the strands of the Baroque period and brought it to its ultimate maturity.