The Australian Chamber Choir performs motets by J.S. Bach and two of his sons, Johann Micheal Bach and Joahnn Christoph Bach.
“There are days when something of heaven seems to touch the earth. Thank you for giving us just one of those such days” (Stefen Wegener, Presenter, Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnisskirche Series, Berlin, 14 July 2007)
The choir was founded by its director, Douglas Lawrence in 2007. In July that year, the choir undertook a 20-concert tour of Europe to great acclaim: “The Australian Chamber Choir inspired the audience with the finest choral music” (Ostfriesischer Kurier, July 19, 2007).
Shortly after its return to Melbourne, Clive O’Connell described the choir’s inaugural Australian performance in the Age: “choral work of the top rank, as lucidly articulated as you could desire, the bustling interweaving of eight lines coming across in this revealing acoustic with impressive purpose and intonational fidelity” (The Age, 22 November 2007).
The Australian Chamber Choir was founded by Douglas Lawrence in July 2007.
Melbourne organist Douglas Lawrence is Director of Music at The Scots' Church and Teacher of the Organ at the University of Melbourne and was the founding director of Choir of Ormond College, a position he held from 1982 to 2006.
- Motet for five-part choir Das Blut Jesu Christi Johann Michael Bach 3:57
- Verse 1: Choral: Jesu, meine freude 1:09
- Es ist nun nichts 2:47
- Verse 2: Chroal: Unter deinem Schirmen 1:07
- Denn das Gesetz 1:03
- Verse 3: Trotz dem alten Drachen 2:15
- Ihr aber seid nicht fleishlich 2:15
- Verse 4: Choral: Weg mit allen schätzen 1:11
- Andante: So aber Christus in euch ist 2:10
- Verse 5: Gute Nacht 3:30
- So nun der Geist 1:33
- Verse 6: Choral: Weicht, ihr Trauergeister 1:13
- Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied 5:15
- Aria / Choral: Wie sich ein Vater erbarmet 4:52
- Cori unisoni: Alles was Odem hat 3:59
- Motet for eight-part double choir: Lieber Herr Gott, Wecke Uns Auf Johann Christoph Bach 3:54
- Sinfonia 1:05
- Verse 1 Allegro: Christ lag in Todes Banden 4:00
- Verse 2 Den Tod neimand zwingen kunnt 3:21
- Verse 3 Jesus Christus, Gottes Sohn 1:55
- Verse 4 Da Tod un Leben ringen 2:15
- Verse 5 Hie ist das rechte Osterlamm 3:46
- Verse 6 So felern wir das hohe Fest 1:40
- Verse 7 Choral: Wir essen und leben 1:07
Motet for five-part mixed choir: Jesu, Meine Freude, BWV 227 Johann Sebastian Bach
Motet for two four-part mixed choirs: Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, BWV 225 Johann Sebastian Bach
Cantata for Easter Sunday, BWV 4 Johann Sebastian Bach
Johann Sebastian Bach was a German composer, organist, harpsichordist, violist, and violinist whose sacred and secular works for choir, orchestra, and solo instruments drew together the strands of the Baroque period and brought it to its ultimate maturity.
Johann Christoph Bach (6 December 1642 – 31 March 1703) was a German composer and organist of the Baroque period. He was born at Arnstadt, the son of Heinrich Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach's great uncle, hence he was Johann Sebastian's first cousin once removed. He was also the uncle of Maria Barbara Bach, J.S. Bach's first wife. He is not to be confused with Johann Sebastian's Bach's son, Johann Christoph Friedrich Bach.
Where to buy
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 61 minutes 19 seconds
- Release date
- April 2013
- © 2013 Move Records
- ℗ 2013 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3363
- EAN 9314574336320