A Baroque Collection
Douglas Lawrence plays a feast of baroque master works on the acclaimed Ahrend organ of Monash University's Robert Blackwood Hall.
Originally issued in 1982 on LP this recording merits a re-issue on CD.
Melbourne organist Douglas Lawrence is Director of Music at The Scots' Church and Teacher of the Organ at the University of Melbourne and was the founding director of Choir of Ormond College, a position he held from 1982 to 2006.
“The highlight for me was the set of Pachelbel variations which have both instrument and performer in sympathy and bring forth some very effective registrations. The recorded sound is very good.”
— Paul Singleton, Victorian Organ Journal
“A great variety of musical styles and tonal registrations. Lawrence aptly demonstrates the more subtle tonal possibilities of the instrument.”
— AB / WAL,
- Offertorio Domenico Zipoli
- Fantasie Abraham van den Kerckhoven
- Puer nobis nascitur Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
- "Was Gott tutt, das ist wohlgetan" Johann Pachelbel
- Nöel no VI Louis-Claude Daquin
- Prelude and Fugue in f minor Vincent Lübeck
- "Ach Gott, erhör mein Seufzen" Johann Ludwig Krebs
- Voluntary in D major: Spiritoso - Allegro (fugue) George Frideric Handel
- "Vater unser im Himmelreich" Georg Böhm
- Passacaglia in d minor Dietrich Buxtehude
- Douglas Lawrence · organ
Johann Pachelbel was a German Baroque composer, organist and teacher, who brought the south German organ tradition to its peak. He composed a large body of sacred and secular music, and his contributions to the development of the chorale prelude and fugue have earned him a place among the most important composers of the middle Baroque era.
George Frideric Handel was a German-British Baroque composer, famous for his operas, oratorios, and concertos. Handel's music was well known to such later composers as Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven.
Dieterich Buxtehude was a German-Danish organist and composer of the Baroque period. His organ works represent a central part of the standard organ repertoire and are frequently performed at recitals and in church services.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.