Ian Holtham, piano. Featuring Chopin's 'Twenty-Four Études Op. 10 & Op. 25', perfect examples of their genre, wonderfully innovative in their textures and uncompromisingly challenging in their technical difficulties.
This disc reveals the mastery and control of the keyboard which makes Ian Holtham such an exciting and highly acclaimed pianist.
Also includes four studies by Godowsky which use Chopin's études as compositional points of departure and are some of the most demanding and intriguing compositions ever conceived for the piano.
Professor Ian Holtham is one of the most distinguished and highly regarded pianists and pedagogues in Australia and his performances of the great Classical and Romantic repertoire have played to packed houses and rave reviews for many years.
“One must still admire Holtham's tenacity in such difficult repertory and his maintenance of clarity and musicianship in the face of such odds.”
— Tony Way, The Age - Green Guide
“shows the mastery and control of the keyboard which makes Holtham such an exciting performer ... Melbourne is indeed lucky to have such a resident talent.”
— 3MBS FM Libretto
- No. 1 in C major (Allegro)
- No. 2 in A minor (Allegro)
- No. 3 in E major (Lento ma non troppo)
- No. 4 in C♯ minor (Presto)
- No. 5 in G♭major (Vivace)
- No. 6 in E♭minor (Andante)
- No. 7 in C major (Vivace)
- No. 8 in F major (Allegro)
- No. 9 in F minor (Allegro molto agitato)
- No. 10 in A♭ major (Vivace assai)
- No. 11 in E♭ major (Allegretto)
- No. 12 in C minor (Allegro con fuoco)
- No. 1 in A flat major (Allegro sostenuto)
- No. 2 in F minor (Presto)
- No. 3 in F major (Allegro)
- No. 4 in A minor (Agitato)
- No. 5 in E minor (Vivace)
- No. 6 in G♯ minor (Allegro)
- No. 7 in C♯ minor (Lento)
- No. 8 in D♭major (Vivace legato)
- No. 9 in G♭ major (Allegro vivace)
- No. 10 in B minor (Allegro con fuoco)
- No. 11 in A minor (Lento − Allegro con brio)
- No. 12 in C minor (Allegro molto, con fuoco)
- No. 1: Op. 10 No. 1
- No. 3: Op. 10 No. 2 : Study for the left hand alone
- No. 4: Op. 10 No. 2: "Ignis Fatuus"
- No. 47: Op. 10 No. 5 & Op. 25 No. 9: "Badinage"
Études, Op 10 Frédéric Chopin
Études, Op 25 Frédéric Chopin
Four Studies on Chopin's Etudes Leopold Godowsky
- Ian Holtham · piano
Frédéric François Chopin was a Polish composer, virtuoso pianist, and music teacher. He was one of the great masters of Romantic music and has been called "the poet of the piano".