Ian Holtham, Piano. The genesis of this recording was to assemble a number of the composer's most attractive and original works as a mark of homage to one of the most outstandingly innovative and important composers for the piano who has ever lived.
This CD was released on 1 March 2010 which marked the bicentenary of Chopin's birth. It contains a unique compilation: everything that Chopin ever wrote involving the designations, fantasy and impromptu, works into which he poured both love and intensity.
In addition the recording includes the only work in which Chopin composed in every key, creating a sound world to characterise every tonality: the magical and comprehensive preludes Opus 28, Chopin's own homage to Bach.
Professor Ian Holtham is one of the most distinguished and highly regarded pianists and pedagogues in Australia and his performances of the great Classical and Romantic repertoire have played to packed houses and rave reviews for many years.
“One of the more lasting celebrations of Chopin's 200th birthday comes in this solid exploration of the master piano composer's work.”
— Clive O'Connell , The Age 48 Hours
- No. 1 in C major - Agitato
- No. 2 in A minor - Lento
- No. 3 in G major - Vivace
- No. 4 in E minor - Largo
- No. 5 in D major - Allegro molto
- No. 6 in B minor - Lento assai
- No. 7 in A major - Andantino
- No. 8 in F sharp minor - Molto agitato
- No. 9 in E major - Largo
- No. 10 in C sharp minor - Allegro molto
- No. 11 in B major - Vivace
- No. 12 in G sharp minor - Presto
- No. 13 in F sharp major - Lento
- No. 14 in E flat minor - Allegro
- No. 15 in D flat major - Sostenuto
- No. 16 in B flat minor - Presto con fuoco
- No. 17 in A flat major - Allegretto
- No. 18 in F minor - Allegro molto
- No. 19 in E flat major - Vivace
- No. 20 in C minor - Largo
- No. 21 in B flat major - Cantabile
- No. 22 in G minor - Molto agitato
- No. 23 in F major - Moderato
- No. 24 in D minor - Allegro appassionato
- Fantasy in F minor, Op. 49 Frédéric Chopin
- Impromptu No. 1 in A flat major, Op. 29 Frédéric Chopin
- Impromptu No. 2 in F sharp major, Op. 36 Frédéric Chopin
- Impromptu No. 3 in G flat major, Op. 51 Frédéric Chopin
- Fantasy-Impromptu in C sharp minor, Op. post. 66 Frédéric Chopin
- Polonaise-Fantaisie in A flat major, Op. 61 Frédéric Chopin
24 Préludes, Op. 28 Frédéric Chopin
- Ian Holtham · piano
Frédéric François Chopin was a Polish composer, virtuoso pianist, and music teacher. He was one of the great masters of Romantic music and has been called "the poet of the piano".
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.