Pachelbel, His Canon and Much More
Douglas Lawrence plays the Ronald Sharp Organ at Ormond College, Melbourne. An excellent disc of favourite organ works by Pachelbel, Buxtehude, Schiedt, Camidge and Greene.
Features works by Pachelbel including the popular 'Canon in D major', music by Buxtehude including the 'Ciacona in E minor' and the 'Passacaglia in D minor', in addition to works by Greene, Camidge, and Schiedt.
These are the only recordings of the organ in the Ormond College Chapel built by Sydney organbuilder Ronald Sharp, before it was rebuilt and enlarged in 1993.
Melbourne organist Douglas Lawrence is Director of Music at The Scots' Church and Teacher of the Organ at the University of Melbourne and was the founding director of Choir of Ormond College, a position he held from 1982 to 2006.
“This record is in every respect a treasure”
— The Herald
“This is a great collection and the sound is as Ron Sharp left it.”
— Bruce Steele, Organo Pleno
“The acoustics are a joy; warm, flattering and intimate ... the Canon in D recorded here after the instrument's restoration, comes up so well as to suggest this is a more positive arrangement than the one for strings.”
— The Melburnian
“The playing and articulation cannot be faulted. The sound of the organ is heard close up: delightful for softer pieces and you could listen to those endlessly.”
— Victorian Organ Journal
- Ormond College bell :29
- Toccata in E minor Johann Pachelbel 1:38
- Fantasia in G minor Johann Pachelbel 3:15
- Toccata in C major Johann Pachelbel 1:58
- Chorale Prelude Komm Heiliger Geist Johann Pachelbel 1:17
- Ricercar in C minor Johann Pachelbel 4:46
- Ciacona in F minor Johann Pachelbel 7:30
- Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ 1:41
- Da Jesus an dem Kreuze stund 2:43
- Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her (a) 1:33
- Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her (b) 3:04
- Diapason Maurice Greene 1:53
- Gavotte Matthew Camidge 1:59
- Echo: ad manuale duplex, forte e piano Samuel Sheidt 1:49
- Air and 4 variations on the old Dutch song "Ah, you fine young horseman" Dietrich Buxtehude 5:55
- Ciacona in E minor Dietrich Buxtehude 5:26
- Ach Herr, mich armen Sunder Dietrich Buxtehude 2:53
- Nun bitten wir den Heilgen Geist Dietrich Buxtehude 2:13
- Prelude and Fugue in D minor Dietrich Buxtehude 5:24
- Gelobet seist du Jesu Christ Dietrich Buxtehude 1:49
- Von Gott will ich nicht lassen Dietrich Buxtehude 1:50
- Passacaglia in D minor Dietrich Buxtehude 5:49
- Nun komm der Heiden Heiland Dietrich Buxtehude 1:53
- Jesus Christus, unser Heiland Dietrich Buxtehude 1:56
- Canon in D major Johann Pachelbel 5:33
Chorale Prelude Johann Pachelbel
- Douglas Lawrence · organ
Johann Pachelbel was a German Baroque composer, organist and teacher, who brought the south German organ tradition to its peak. He composed a large body of sacred and secular music, and his contributions to the development of the chorale prelude and fugue have earned him a place among the most important composers of the middle Baroque era.
Dieterich Buxtehude was a German-Danish organist and composer of the Baroque period. His organ works represent a central part of the standard organ repertoire and are frequently performed at recitals and in church services.