Sing Together Alleluia
Hymns sung by the 'Sing Alleluia Music Ministry Team' from Sing Alleluia are included in Together in Song: Australian Hymn Book II, published in 1987.
Sing Alleluia contains unfamiliar hymns, songs, psalms, chants, rounds and communion settings, it became apparent that congregations could benefit from introductory sessions which explored creative ways of using music in worship. To this end a small 'ad hoc' group of singers and instrumentalists from Uniting Churches in Melbourne offered the possibility of workshops.
Apart from worship leadership, conducting retreats and conferences, a small group presented three sessions on Christian Television and recorded the entire 105 items on cassette with Move Records over a period of two years.
Recordings were made in Wesley Church in Melbourne, often on cold winter nights. The intention was to demonstrate what a small occasional group could contribute to a diverse presentation of worship song.
Meanwhile invitations followed which led to visits across the state of Victoria for two years during which time over 40 volunteers participated, forming the 'Sing Alleluia Music Ministry Team' directed by Wendy McLean. At any one visit there would be four singers, a pianist, possibly a bass guitarist and a woodwind quartet for whom parts were arranged.
In compiling this CD there have been criteria:
* to use only material not already on the Together in Song - A Selection - 2 CD set commissioned by the AHB company.
* word changes from Sing Alleluia to Together In Song are minimal.
* to select a wide variety of words and musical styles including some which may be for occasional use only, or which may at first appear less accessible.
* to present selections with diverse instrumental accompaniments.
The intention remains - to encourage the belief that what a group of mostly amateurs can do, others can do, to enrich the peoples' song to the glory of God.
Wendy McLean - August 2004
- God, we praise you, God, we bless you Charles Hubert Hastings Parry Christopher M. Idle 2:54
- This is my Father's world Malcolm Williamson Maltbie Davenport Babcock Mary Babcock Crawford 2:15
- When Christ was lifted from the earth Leonard Blake Brian Wren 1:37
- O Lord Jesus Marrkapmirr (Traditional Australian Indigenous melody) (Traditional) D'Arcy Wood :52
- O changeless Christ, for ever new Gordon Slater Timothy Dudley-Smith 2:00
- The voice of God goes out to all the world Colin Brumby Luke Connaughton 2:12
- Your coming, Lord, to earth in Bethlehem Lawrence Francis Bartlett Wesley Milgate 2:31
- In the fields near Bethlehem Lawrence Francis Bartlett Bliss Wiant Wesley Milgate 1:50
- Here hangs a man discarded Peter Warwick Cutts Brian Wren 3:01
- When his time was over the palms lay where they fell Robin Mann Robin Mann 3:07
- Joyful the morning when Jesus Christ is risen! (Traditional) Wesley Milgate 1:40
- Come, God's people, sing for joy (Traditional) Keith David Pearson 1:58
- Rejoice in God's saints, today and all days (Traditional) Frederick Pratt Green 2:14
- Father welcomes all his children Robin Mann Robin Mann 2:30
- The Son of God proclaim Richard Dirksen Basil Ernest Bridge 2:58
- Let us talents and tongues employ (Traditional) Frederik Herman Kaan Arr: Doreen Potter Alister Spence Betty Pulkingham 1:35
- Christians lift your hearts and voices Henry John Gauntlett John Edward Bowers 1:45
- Far beyond our mind's grasp (Traditional) Francisco F. Feliciano Arr: Lawrence Francis Bartlett 2:33
- Christ be my leader by night as by day (Traditional) James Blundell Minchin 1:39
- God has spoken to his people (Traditional) Timothy Dudley-Smith 2:33
- Safe in the shadow of the Lord Norman Warren Timothy Dudley-Smith 2:10
- As man and woman we were made (Traditional) Ralph Vaughan Williams D'Arcy Wood 1:59
- God is our song Sydney Watson Frederick Pratt Green 1:59
- Comfort, comfort all my people Robin Mann Robin Mann 2:57
- Brother, sister, let me serve you Richard Gillard Richard Gillard 2:42
- Jesus, my Lord Gerald Hocken Knight Howard Gaunt 1:35
- Made in God's likeness, moved by the Spirit Alister Spence Patricia Lewis 3:52
- Lord of earth and all creation Robert Boughen Michael Rayner Thwaites Honor Mary Thwaites 1:21
- Donna nobis pacem Jacques Berthier 3:27
- Eat this bread, drink this cup Jacques Berthier (Traditional) 4:16
- Everything that has breath Terrye Coelho (Traditional) :53
- Father, we adore you Brent Chambers (Traditional) 1:11
- In the presence of your people Brent Chambers (Traditional) 1:36
- Jesus, remember me Jacques Berthier (Traditional) 2:49
Ralph Vaughan Williams was born on 12 October 1872 in Down Ampney, Gloucestershire, where his father, the Reverend Arthur Vaughan Williams (the surname Vaughan Williams is an unhyphenated double-barrelled name of Welsh origin), was vicar.
Colin Brumby was born in Melbourne studying in Spain and London. He helped lay the foundation of permanent opera in Queensland and has considerable diversity in his output, representing almost every form in the musical catalogue.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 76 minutes 31 seconds
- Release date
- © 2004 Move Records
- ℗ 2004 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3291
- EAN 9314574329124