A Little French Cello
A charming collection of music from the rich French school of the late 19th century. The sonority of the cello and the beautiful clarity of the piano make this CD both easy to listen to, and moving. The two performers, Zoe Knighton (Cello) and Amir Farid (Piano) are masters of their art.
This CD began with Zoe Knighton and Amir Farid reading through a whole lot of music that had been sitting on Zoe’s shelf, unplayed for decades. They quickly fell in love with these French pieces and the CD basically compiled itself. They even recorded too much music and had to cut a short piece by Mompou – luckily he turned out to be from Barcelona.
Zoe Knighton and Amir Farid debuted at Melbourne Recital Centre in 2009 and have since released three CDs on the Move label (Mendelssohn cello, Argentine cello and Beethoven cello), performed in the ABC Sunday Live series, the Saturday Sessions (ABC), the Port Fairy Spring Music Festival and throughout regional Victoria.
Zoë is at the fore of a new generation of performer intent on forging an innovative path for the enjoyment of 'classical' music. She is a founding member of Flinders Quartet
Pianist Amir Farid has been described as "a highly creative musician - a pianist of great intelligence and integrity. He brings strong musical substance to all that he does, imbuing it with his own particular experience and understanding", and who "in a well populated field...distinguishes himself for all the right reasons".
“The cell's sonorous and expressive tone is suited to French music. Zoé Knighton and Amir Farid here present music written or arranged for the cello by French composers. Its romanticism is played with style and sensitivity to the melodic and harmonic nuances. Knight's even tone throughout the registers matches the rich yet delicate sound of Farid's stylistic and virtuosic accompaniments.”
— Sharon Lierse, AUSTA Magazine (Stringendo)
- Suite bergamasque, L 75 Clair de lune Claude Debussy 5:16
- Printemps, L 61 Claude Debussy 7:13
- Reverie, L 68 Claude Debussy 5:18
- No. 1 in E flat minor - Modéré 2:54
- No. 2 in A minor - Sans vitesse et à l'aise 1:40
- No. 3 in C sharp minor - Vite et nerveusement rythmé 2:52
- Les berceaux (Cradles) - Op 23 No 1 Gabriel Fauré 2:37
- Sylvie - Op 6 No 3 Gabriel Fauré 3:13
- Au bord de l'eau - Op 8 No 1 Gabriel Fauré 2:04
- Toujours - Op 21 No 2 Gabriel Fauré 1:35
- Pièce Op 39 (1897) (for Violincello and Piano in C major) Ernest Chausson 8:32
- Sonata in F sharp minor Jean Huré 23:29
- Prologue: Lent, sostenuto e molto risoluto 5:00
- Sérénade: Modérément animé 3:32
- Finale: Animé, léger et nerveux 3:45
Trois Pièces Nadia Boulanger
Sonata (for Violincello and Piano) (1915) - L 135 Claude Debussy
Claude-Achille Debussy was a French composer. Along with Maurice Ravel, he was one of the most prominent figures working within the field of impressionist music, though he himself intensely disliked the term when applied to his compositions.
Gabriel Urbain Fauré was a French composer, pianist, organist and teacher. He was one of the foremost French composers of his era, and his musical style influenced many 20th century composers.
Where to buy
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 79 minutes 0 seconds
- Release date
- September 2013
- © 2013 Move Records
- ℗ 2013 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3367
- EAN 9314574336726