A program of original compositions for carillon, as well as transcriptions and arrangements with an Australian connection.
A carillon is a set of twenty-three or more stationary bells arranged chromatically and played mechanically, with no electrical or other assistance.
'Essentially Australian' features the stunning sound of Australia's National Carillon, one of the world's largest and most beautiful. Situated amongst the beauty and tranquility of Aspen Island in the picturesque Lake Burley Griffin, its award-winning design and height of fifty metres allow music to drift over a 300 metre radius.
Contains original compositions, arrangements of traditional and popular songs and transcriptions from the piano repertoire, all with an Australian connection.
Visit the World Carillon Federation here.
Joan Chia is the carillonist at the National Carillon in Canberra.
“stunning sound ... unique and very Australian.”
— Capricorn Coast Mirror
“the ambience of the Canberra instrument has been effectively captured, and with an entertaining program and accomplished playing this disc provides a musical souvenir which will be welcolmed by locals and visitors alike.”
— Bill Hoffmann, Canberra Times
- A Little Fantasy and Fugue for Carillon Hamilton Harty
- Australian Medley I Waltzing Matilda, Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport, Where the Dog Sits on the Tuckerbox, Botany Bay, The Road to Gundagai (Traditional) Arr: Joan Chia
- Lake Music for Carillon Terry Vaughan
- Andante con moto
- Early One Morning (Traditional) Arr: John Gordon
- Devil Among the Tailors (Traditional) Arr: John Gordon
- Fantasy on the Bells of St Clements (Traditional) Arr: John Gordon
- The Shearer's Dream (Traditional) Arr: Leen 't Hart
- Suite on Moreton Bay John Barrett
- Scottish Medley My Love She's But a Lassie Yet, My Love is Like a Red Red Rose, The Piper of Dundee, Horo, My Nut Brown Maiden/ Health and Joy be with You, Bonnie Dundee (Traditional) Arr: Joan Chia
- Winter Afternoon for Carillon John Gordon
- Summer Song for Carillon Terry Vaughan
- Irish Medley St. Patrick's Day, Cockles and Mussels, Killarney, The Minstrel Boy, The Last Rose of Summer (Traditional) Arr: Joan Chia
- The Old Palmer Song (Traditional) Arr: Joan Chia
- Australian Medley II Click Go the Shears, I Still Call Australia Home, Advance Australia Fair (Traditional) Arr: Joan Chia
Five Little Piano Pieces Ross Edwards
- Joan Chia · carillon
One of Australia's most distinguished composers, Ross Edwards lives and works in Sydney. For more than two decades his commitment to the ideal of music as a positive and regenerative force within the community has led him to explore beyond the confines of Western Art Music.