O Rose So Red
Melbourne based Schola Cantorum perform a program of chants, songs and motets used to capture the nature of Mary over the course of more than a millennium.
The red rose is one of the most enduring images of the Virgin Mary. It has wide ranging associations with the fertility of the Madonna, the beauty of the bride of Christ, the fragrances of Heaven, the passion and romance of the Troubadour, the poignancy of the crown of thorns and the rich colour of spilt blood. Like the rose, the music used to depict or venerate Mary is varied.
Melbourne based Schola Cantorum directed by leading Australian Early Music interpreter Gary Ekkel, perform a program of chants, songs and motets used to capture the nature of Mary over the course of more than a millennium.
Schola Cantorum of Melbourne has established a reputation for presenting sacred music from the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque together with Gregorian chant in historical and innovative contexts.
Gary Ekkel is a leading Australian interpreter of choral and Early Music.
“…The high point of the music-making here is the spirited performance of five Marian antiphons by Jan Dismas Zelenka, a Bohemian composer working in baroque Dresden.”
— Mike Daly, The Age
“For quiet meditation, pure moving music portraying the life of the Virgin Mary is beautifully captured by Schola Cantorum”
— The Sunday Mail
“nicely programmed ... an enjoyably 'real' performance and a most pleasant disc.”
— Madeleine Rowles, Early Music News, NSW
- Ex semine Abrahe / Ex semine Rosa Pérotin
- O Virgo splendens (Anonymous)
- Alma Redemptoris Mater (Gregorian chant)
- Ave Regina caelorum (Gregorian chant)
- Regina caeli (Gregorian chant)
- Salve Regina (Gregorian chant)
- Ave maris stella John Dunstable
- Alma Redemptoris Mater Johannes Ockeghem
- O Maria, vernans rosa Clemens non Papa
- Salve Regina (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
- Ave Virgo gloriosa Richard Dering
- Magnificat Hieronymus Praetorius
- Alma Redemptoris Mater Jan Dismas Zelenka
- Ave Regina caelorum (i) Jan Dismas Zelenka
- Ave Regina caelorum (ii) Jan Dismas Zelenka
- Regina caeli Jan Dismas Zelenka
- Salve Regina Jan Dismas Zelenka
Ave Maria (Gregorian chant)