A Beethoven Recital
This recording by Ronald Farren-Price was made in 1976 and presents an unusual variety of works by Beethoven. It comprises some works which have been rarely heard and some which are much loved by students.
The magnificent Polonaise in C op. 89 was composed in 1814 at the time of the Congress of Vienna and dedicated to the Empress of Russia. It is a brilliant work with much that is exacting for the pianist. In fact, Beethoven has compounded many keyboard difficulties into this one work.
Another piece rarely heard is the Allegretto in C minor, perhaps considered by the composer for the 3rd movement of the op. 10 No, 1 Sonata. This is a work of immediate strength and purpose. The two beautiful Rondos of Op. 51 and the superbly olea cut and concise Ten Variations on a theme by Salieri “La Stessa, La Stessissima” are a welcome inclusion in the recital.
The fact that Ronald Farren-Price includes the early Sonatine in F and Elise is a tribute to the master’s genius in “the simplest forms”. Mr. Farren-Price plays these works with much affection.
Ronald Farren-Price "... a sensitive artist and a virtuoso of top rank ... he demonstrated a perfect balance between the sound and the expression of the music ... definitely a pianist of great distinction."
- Ten variations on "La stessa, la stessissima" from the opera Falstaff by Salieri in B flat, Wo073 Ludwig van Beethoven 10:50
- Rondo in G, Op. 51: No. 2 Ludwig van Beethoven 10:32
- Rondo in C major, Op. 51: No. 1 Ludwig van Beethoven 5:56
- Albumblatt in A minor "Fur Elise", Wo059 Ludwig van Beethoven 3:23
- Polonaise in C, Op. 89 Ludwig van Beethoven 5:49
- Sonatine in F Ludwig van Beethoven 5:03
- Allegretto in C minor, Wo053 Ludwig van Beethoven 4:31
- Ronald Farren-Price · piano
Ludwig van Beethoven was a German composer and pianist. The crucial figure in the transition between the Classical and Romantic eras in Western art music, he remains one of the most famous and influential composers of all time.
Where to buy
- List price
- $20.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 46 minutes 4 seconds
- Release date
- © 1977 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- ℗ 1986 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3050
- EAN 9314574305029