A Shropshire Lad
Blake Fischer, with accompanist Claire Cooper won the 1998 Song Recital Award and here presents an exciting collection of English and American folk, traditional and art songs.
A truly successful recital is not a collection of songs shunted together like a string of ill-matched freight cars. Given true commitment, atmosphere and concentration by artists such as the award winning baritone Blake Fischer and pianist Claire Cooper, it can take you on both a dramatic and emotional journey.
In "A Shropshire Lad", Fischer (winner of the prestigious 1998 Song Recital Award) and Cooper embark on a journey through the musical countryside of English and American folk, traditional and art songs, with music by Butterworth, Finzi, Copland and Britten.
Move Records has produced five recital CDs of the Song Recital Award winners (as part of its major sponsorship of the competition), and is proud to continue its association with the award going into the new millennium.
Blake Fischer graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts in 1995 with a Bachelor Degree in Music. He has since appeared with the Victoria State Opera, Opera Australia, and in various musicals, including ‘My Fair Lady’ and ‘Chess’. He joined the full-time chorus of Opera Australia in 1997 and has understudied and performed lead roles.
“all presented knowingly and with superb diction ... I would hope to hear more from Fischer in the next few years ... Sound is excellent.”
— The Delian, USA
- Loveliest of trees
- When I was one-and-twenty
- Look not in my eyes
- Think no more, lad
- The lads in their hundreds
- Is my team ploughing
- Long Time Ago Aaron Copland (Traditional)
- Simple Gifts Aaron Copland (Traditional)
- At the River Aaron Copland (Traditional)
- Ching-a-Ring Chaw Aaron Copland (Traditional)
- Come away, come away, death
- Who is Silvia?
- Fear no more the heat o' the sun
- O Mistress mine
- It was a lover and his lass
- The Ploughboy Benjamin Britten (Traditional)
- The Salley Gardens Benjamin Britten (Traditional)
- The Miller of Dee Benjamin Britten (Traditional)
- O Waly Waly Benjamin Britten (Traditional)
- Oliver Cromwell Benjamin Britten (Traditional)
Edward Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976) was an English composer, conductor, and pianist. Britten's operas are firmly established in the international repertoire. He has more operas played worldwide than any other composer born in the 20th century.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.