Devils of the Night
On this, his first CD for Move Records, Nagorcka is joined by his long-time collaborator, the Melbourne-based pianist, educator and co-composer Robert Williams.
Ron Nagorcka is not only a didjeridu virtuoso, but is one of Tasmania's most important and distinctive contemporary composers. Armed with his digital sampler, Nagorcka is able to not only draw upon the sounds of the local wildlife and countryside but combine them with extraordinary electronic manipulation and Pythagorean just intonation.
The gorgeous cover and backcard artwork is by the acclaimed Tasmanian artist, Philip Wolfhagen.
From the many Nagorcka / Williams didjeridu and sampler collaborations, to Elizabeth Anderson's harpsichord in Zygodactyl Dance, and Larry Polansky's electric guitar in Mood from Lake Mungo, Devils of the Night will provide an evening of listening you won't easily forget.
Robert Williams has a long standing involvement with the performance and promotion of contemporary Australian music.His busy artistic life includes the co-ordination and direction of music festivals such as the Great Southern Sounds Festiva held at the National Gallery of Victoria (1995 / 6), working as a music journalist and critic, and restoring and rebuilding pianos.
Ron Nagorcka has a long-held interest in the sounds of the Australian bush (in particular its birds), the use of electronics in music and the system of tuning known as just intonation. His recordings of nature in Tasmania and in the arid zones of mainland Australia provide the basis for many of his compositions.
“sensuous rather than cerebral ... most rewarding ... the disc is strongly recommended.”
— Peter Larsen, 3MBS FM Libretto
“beautiful harmonies ... deeply satisfying ... music that repays repeated listening.”
— Roz Cheney, Sounds Australian Journal
“... wondrous ... the most Tasmanian [non-indigenous] music I have ever heard”
— Peter Sculthorpe, Australian composer
“... wonderful in the balancing of ecological sources and musical structures. Nagorcka has a very sensitive ear for nature ...”
— Pauline Oliveros, New York
“brilliantly effective electronic manipulation ... fascinating ... unique”
— New Classics, UK
“a variety of nocturnal fantasies ... The constant and delightful thread of sounds weaving throughout this CD is the representation of animal, bird and environmental sounds. They keep the heart of the land always at the forefront of attention.”
— Elizabeth Scarlett, ArtStreams
- Devils of the Night Robert Williams Ron Nagorcka 6:24
- Zygodactyl Dance Ron Nagorcka 3:15
- Mood from Lake Mungo Ron Nagorcka 4:00
- Cockatoo Ron Nagorcka Robert Williams 4:11
- About 3 Ron Nagorcka 3:28
- Noyenna Robert Williams 3:38
- Crow Chorale Ron Nagorcka 3:43
- Bunbundalui Robert Williams Ron Nagorcka 3:13
- Dancing with the Organ-bird Ron Nagorcka 3:31
- Calamanthus Ron Nagorcka 2:43
- This Beauteous Wicked Place Ron Nagorcka 6:48
- The Frolicking Quoll Ron Nagorcka 1:39
- Tasmanian Toccata Ron Nagorcka 4:24
- Prelude (original version) Ron Nagorcka 1:21
- Prelude (mandolin vesion) [arr. Polansky] Ron Nagorcka 1:10
- Galah Ron Nagorcka 5:30
- E-gypt Ron Nagorcka 2:57
- Tarranyennah Ron Nagorcka Robert Williams 3:03
- Elizabeth Anderson · harpsichord · tracks 2 and 11
- Ron Nagorcka · didjeridu, keyboard sampler · all except tracks 2, 12, 14 and 15
- Robert Williams · keyboard sampler and piano · tracks 1, 4, 6—9, 13, 14, 16 and 18
- Larry Polansky · electric guitar and mandolin · tracks 3 and 15
- Karlin Love · soprano saxophone and clarinet · tracks 12 and 17
- Rhys Boak · pipe organ · track 13
- David Scott Hamnes · pipe organ · track 5
- Geoffrey d'Ombrain · flute · track 10
Where to buy
Recorded at the Move Records Studio, Melbourne Australia.
(tracks 1, 2, 4, 6—11, 14, 16 and 18)
This recording project has been assisted by the Commonwealth Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 64 minutes 58 seconds
- Martin Wright (tracks 1, 2, 4, 6—11, 14, 16 and 18)
- Move Records Studio (tracks 1, 2, 4, 6—11, 14, 16 and 18)
- Thanks to
- A & S Real-Time Recording
Sarah Lloyd Fine Leather Clothing
- Release date
- © 2002 Move Records
- ℗ 2002 Move Records
- Australian, Classical, Keyboard
- Catalogue number
- MD 3259
- EAN 9314574325928