Laid back jazz vocals float beautifully over bossa and samba rhythms. This unusual mix is inspired by the work of Brazilian artist Antonio Carlos Jobim. The result is an acoustically spacious album which seduces the senses with a mix of familiar and original material.
Recording started in 2007. The project has since undergone amazing and loving transformations with the expertise of producer Paul Boath, musical director Todd Sidney and the team at Move Records.
The raw inspiration of acoustic Brazil and the brilliant talents of the likes of Bob Sedergreen feature on this 12 track disc, which flows effortlessly between original and reinterpretated compositions.
Composer Tom Jobim and his cohorts turned sex on the beach into sound (the 60s bossa nova) with a fusion of acoustic latin rhythms and laid back jazz improvisation. Picture a walk on the beach singing, the sea on a sunny summer afternoon while a sometimes unpredictable breeze plays over brown bodies and shining waves.
This album was inspired by that love, that moment in time recast into the new century.
A dedicated vocalist since her teens, Melbourne-based Emma Sidney has performed classical, opera, musical and jazz works since 1988, including stage and television appearances. From 1999 has dedicated herself to music full time leading bands, teaching jazz privately and organising work locally and overseas.
- Corner of the Earth Jay Kay Rob Harris
- Intersection Bob Sedergreen Judy Jacques
- Agua de Beber Antonio Carlos Jobim Vinicius de Moraes Norman Gimbel
- Infant Eyes Wayne Shorter
- Tangerine Johnny Mercer Victor Schertzinger
- Corcovado Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Catching the Wave Emma Sidney
- Man with the Child in his Eyes Kate Bush
- Moonlight in Vermont Karl Suessdorf J Blackburn
- Telephone Song Roberto Menescal Ronaldo Bôscoli Norman Gimbel
- I Concentrate on You Cole Porter
- Unforgettable Irving Gordon
- Emma Sidney · vocals
- Leon Heale · double bass
- Todd Sidney · piano · all except tracks 1, 2 and 4
- Bob Sedergreen · piano · tracks 2 and 4
- Nic Lam · guitar · all except track 9
- Denis Close · percussion · tracks 1—5, 7, 10 and 12
Pianist Bob Sedergreen is one of the greatest performers of the blues this country has produced. He is blessed too, with a wonderful style of musical humour.
Where to buy
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Release date
- February 2010
- © 2010 Emma Sidney
- ℗ 2010 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3335
- EAN 9314574333527