Larry Sitsky: De Profundis
Features 'De Profundis' based on texts by Oscar Wilde, in addition to 'Violin Concerto No.2', 'Fantasia No.2' and 'Petra'.
Oscar Wilde's text for 'De Profundis' written in the dark days following his trial inspired Sitsky's illuminating and intense musical interpretation. Baritone Lyall Bevan, percussionist Graeme Leak, the Petra and Canberra School of Music String Quartets give superb performances of this intense work.
In addition this disc features the 'Violin Concerto No.2' which was inspired by the writings of the influential philosopher Gurdjieff and juxtaposes the musical languages of the East and West.
It also includes two compositions for piano performed by the composer: 'Fantasia No.2' and 'Petra'.
Larry Sitsky's activities as a composer, pianist, writer, broadcaster and teacher place him inevitably to the fore among today's ambassadors of contemporary Australian piano music. Through his work to date he has made a significant contribution to the Australian music tradition.
“As is the case with the other pieces on this disc, 'De Profundis' receives an exemplary performance.”
— Opera Australia
- The bitterness of disgrace 3:33
- The letter 3:14
- Oscar reflects on his former greatness 2:09
- The rebuke (Melodrama) 2:26
- New understanding 2:23
- Suffering: The other half of life 2:38
- Resolution 6:05
- Dolce, rubato 4:33
- Allegro 1:34
- Allegretto 4:17
- Andantino-allegro 3:14
- Andante con moto 3:58
- Allegretto-allegro 1:41
- Larghetto 3:15
- Fantasia No. 2 Larry Sitsky 9:38
- Petra Larry Sitsky 4:48
De Profundis Larry Sitsky
Gurdjieff: Violin Concerto No. 2 Larry Sitsky
- Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra · tracks 8—14
- Petra String Quartet · tracks 1—7
- Larry Sitsky · piano · tracks 15 and 16
- Lyall Bevan · baritone · tracks 1—7
- Graeme Leak · percussion · tracks 1—7
- Omri Hadari · conductor · tracks 8—14
- Jan Sedivka · violin · tracks 8—14
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.
This recording project has been assisted by the Commonwealth Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.