Christmas songs for mandolin orchestra. Arguably Australia's most acclaimed mandolinist, Kurt Jensen performs an international programme of sparkling and entertaining Christmas carols.
Joined by mandola player Joan Harris, harpist Julie Raines, guitarist Tamara Leamon, pianist May Gavin, mezzo-soprano Suzann Frisk and the Scandinavian Choir, Jensen performs carols which range from mediaeval to modern classics and convey both the joyous and reflective moods which the season of Christmas brings. This unique and exciting program, features carols from England, France, Australia, Germany, Denmark, the USA and original compositions by Swedish composer Ebbe Grimms land.
The warm, intimate sounds of the mandolin, mandola, harp, piano and guitar, combine with the rich and thrilling tones of the superb Scandinavian choir to convey the warmth and bonhomie of a home during the festive season.
Kurt Jensen is a Danish mandolin soloist who has been performing professionally since the age of 12. In Australia he has featured as soloist with the Melbourne Musicians, Chamber Strings of Melbourne, Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra and Guitar Ensemble.
“And what is Christmas without mandolins ... No organs, no orchestras, no grand statements, merely a domestic, happy scene. It exudes warmth.”
— Kim Lockwood, Herald Sun
“Move Records ... has a winner with Mandolin Christmas.”
— The Sunday Mail
- Christmas Eve Deck the Halls, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Il est né (Traditional) Arr: Karl Thomas
- Away in a Manger (Traditional) Arr: Reginald Jacques Vaughan McAlley
- När det lider mot jul (choral version) Ruben Liljefors
- Once in Royal David's City Henry John Gauntlett Arr: Vaughan McAlley
- Australian Carols The Three Drovers, Christmas Day, Carol of the Birds John Wheeler William Garnet James Arr: Karl Thomas
- Bethlehem Stjärna Alice Tegnér
- Silent Night Franz Xavier Gruber Arr: Karl Thomas
- Bethlehem Stjärna Alice Tegnér Arr: Karl Thomas
- Cantique de Noël Adolphe Adam Arr: Karl Thomas
- Coventry Carol (Traditional) Arr: Vaughan McAlley
- Nu tändas Tusen Julejus (Traditional) Arr: S. Thuringer
- Blessed be that maid Mary (Traditional) Arr: Vaughan McAlley David Willcocks
- Ave Maria Hugo Gyldmark
- Holly and the Ivy (Traditional) Arr: Karl Thomas
- Winter Song Ebbe Grims-land
- Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer Johnny Marks
- Merry Christmas Nu har ci jul igen, Sikken voldsom trangsel, Juletraeet mid pynt, På loftet sidden nissen (Traditional) Arr: Karl Thomas
- Mary's Boy Child Jester Hairston Arr: Karl Thomas
- Barn Jesus in En Krybbe Lå Niels Wilhelm Gade
- När det lider mot jul (mandolin version) Ruben Liljefors
- Jeg er så glad hver juletid P. Knudsen
- Dance at Christmas Ebbe Grims-land
- We wish you a merry Christmas (Traditional) Arr: (Anonymous)
- White Christmas Irving Berlin Arr: Karl Thomas
- Kurt Jensen · mandolin · all except tracks 3, 6, 15, 16, 19 and 23
- Julie Raines · harp · tracks 1, 7—9, 13, 14, 17, 18 and 24
- Joan Harris · mandola · tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9—14, 17, 18, 22 and 24
- Tamara Leamon · guitar · tracks 2 and 12
- May Gavin · piano · tracks 15, 19 and 22
- Suzann Frisk · mezzo soprano · tracks 6 and 11
- The Scandinavian Choir, Melbourne · tracks 3, 6, 11, 16, 19, 21 and 23
Vaughan is a composer and arranger, a capable flautist and french horn player as well as engineer of countless Move CD releases.
Composer William Garnet James was the first federal director of the ABC (1931-1957) and it was during his tenure that orchestras were formed in each state.
Adolphe Charles Adam (24 July 1803 – 3 May 1856) was a French composer and music critic. A prolific composer of operas and ballets, he is best known today for his ballets Giselle (1841) and Le corsaire (1856, his last work), his operas Le postillon de Lonjumeau (1836), Le toréador (1849) and Si j'étais roi (1852) [n 1] and his Christmas carol Minuit, chrétiens! (1844), later set to different English lyrics and widely sung as "O Holy Night" (1847). Adam was a noted teacher, who taught Delibes and other influential composers.
Where to buy
Recorded at the Move Records Studio, Melbourne Australia.