Chopin's celebrated nocturnes performed by pianist Nancy Tsou (pronounced "Zo"). Nancy hears in Chopin what very few hear, and her devotion to him has guided her.
Under Nancy's hands Chopin hurts. The shadows of the bass intrude. The music can be very loud, and the emotional charge equal to the climax of a full symphony in a tiny period of time. There is suffering, and exaltation too painful in its purity.
"We have to give the music all the power of our hearts, to make it live. The performer's task is to lead each member of her audience to the place where they are transfixed by the genius and nobility of the composer" - Nancy Tsou
Nancy specialises in solo recitals, performs extensively in Australia and overseas.
Nancy Tsou (pronounced "Zo") was born to a diplomatic family of the Republic of China (Taiwan). She began her musical education at age five, in Argentina, and continued her studies in Melbourne and New York.
“While not demanding technically, Chopin's Nocturnes contain pianistic pitfalls. Some artists over-prettify them - easy to do when the melodic line is highly decorated - and they can seem fragile and precious. Australian-based pianist Nancy Tsou avoids these traps by taking most at a reasonably fast pace. Tsou's incomplete but representative selection gives us just 13 of the Nocturnes. Her instrument is closely but beautifully recorded, aptly placing the listener in the front row at a chamber recital. In terms of dynamic shading and rubato, Tsou’s playing reveals a genuine personal connection to the composer’s spirit. The quasi-improvisational feeling and quiet inwardness are beautifully captured.” ★★★½
— Phillip Scott, Limelight Magazine
- Nocturne, Op. Posth: in C sharp minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 9: No. 1, in B flat minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 9: No. 2, in flat Eminor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne Op. 9: No. 3, in B major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 15: No. 1, in F major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 27: No. 1, in C sharp minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 27: No. 2, in D flat major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 32: No. 1, in B major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 32: No. 2, in A flat major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 48: No. 1, in C minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 55: No. 1, in F minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 55: No. 2, in E flat major Frédéric Chopin
- Nocturne, Op. 72: No. 1, in E minor Frédéric Chopin
- Nancy Tsou · piano
Frédéric François Chopin was a Polish composer, virtuoso pianist, and music teacher. He was one of the great masters of Romantic music and has been called "the poet of the piano".
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Release date
- August 2016
- © 2016 Nancy Tsou
- ℗ 2016 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MCD 546
- EAN 9314574054620