The Shepherd and the Mermaid
The winning combination of voice, clarinet and piano delighted intimate gatherings and inspired many lovely works… Australian Soprano, Elena Xanthoudakis is joined by clarinettist Jason Xanthoudakis and pianist Clemens Leske.
Nineteenth century art song was firmly harnessed to the instrument found in every genteel home – the piano. Other available players were eagerly welcomed to the salon and editions were published with ad libitum or obbligato parts for violin, flute, horn, cello, harmonium, and the instrument outstandingly raised in status by Mozart and Weber, and well suited in range and tone colour – the clarinet.
Much of the music on this disc was long forgotten is symptomatic of the neglect of this repertoire. A ‘Lieder recital’ gradually established itself in the concert hall rather than the household, predominantly with voice and piano alone, and the twentieth century turned a largely deaf ear to the perceived sentimentality or Biedermeier qualities of ‘salon music’. Discovering items long overlooked can bring many rewards. One item in this recital, the iconic song for this combination, Schubert’s Shepherd on the Rock, has always been admired and performed, and exerted its influence in subject matter and style on others heard here.
TrioKROMA was formed to give a voice to the charming Romantic repertoire written for piano, voice and clarinet. Performing works ranging from Schubert's popular iconic masterpiece 'Shepherd on the Rock' to exposing lost gems by composers such as Lachner, Spaeth, Proch, Lindtpaintner and Kalliwoda - TrioKROMA performs a delightful selection of works from Art Song through to the Salon and Chamber Music of the German Romantic tradition.
“Most fascinating is the title track, Peter von Lindpaintner's song of enchanted entrapment. It's a rarity amongst rarities and one which encapsulates perfectly both the richness of this repertoire and the stellar wok TrioKroma has done in rediscovering it” ★★★★
— SN , Limelight Magazine
“Immaculately performed and produced, this is music that deserves much greater exposure.”
— John Pitt, New Classics UK Website
“The performers are exemplary. Elena Xanthoudakis has a lovely voice and a smooth, easy technique; her brother Jason matches her in tone and facility. Clemens Leske could probably play these pieces in his sleep; he is not so much the consummate accompanist as the consummate accomplice. Indeed all three performers and the sound technicians should be congratulated on the satisfying balance of the musical lines on this well-worth-having CD.”
— Jenny Dawson, 4MBS Magazine
- Alpenlied (Song of the Alps) Andreas Späth
- Das Mühlrad (The Mill-Wheel) Conradin Kreutzer
- Schweitzers Hemweh (Homesick for Switzerland) Heinrich Proch
- Gie gefangene Nachticall (The Captive Nightingale) Heinrich Proch
- Heimathlied (Song of Home) Johann Baptist Wenzel Kalliwoda
- Seit ich ihn gesehen (Ever since I saw him) Franz Lachner
- Er, der Herrlichste von allen (He, the Noblest of All) Franz Lachner
- Romanze (Romance) Franz Schubert
- Der Hirt auf dem Felsen (The Shepherd on the Rock) Franz Schubert
- Meine Heimat (My Homeland) Johan Sobeck
- Der Sennin Heimweh (The Homesick Milkmaid) Johann Baptist Wenzel Kalliwoda
- Der Hirt und das Meerweib (The Shepherd and the Mermaid) Peter von Lindtpaintner
Franz Peter Schubert was an Austrian composer. Today, Schubert is admired as one of the leading exponents of the early Romantic era in music and he remains one of the most frequently performed composers.