Victorian Time Machine
The Victorian Time Machine, directed by Richard David Hames, was an instrumental and vocal ensemble which grew out of the Victorian College of the Arts. Composers on this disc are Guillaume Dufay, Richard David Hames, Barry Conynghim and James Fulkerson.
The Santa Maria Del Fiore Cathedral in Florence was the inspiration for "Nuper Rosarum Flores", a monody after Guillaume Dufay - for instrumental ensemble and early music consort (which is directed by Gerald English). Strong links between the original vocal piece and the new Hames work, both of which are concerned with musical space.
Barry Conyngham's "To Be Alone" is a expression of loneliness, on the isolating nature of the modern world.
The final work is "Music for Brass Instruments III" by James Fulkerson.
- Anne-Maree Macdonald · tracks 2 and 3
- Rachelle Skinner · tracks 2 and 3
- Lawrence Dobell · tracks 2 and 3
- Gordon Dickson · tracks 2 and 3
- Graeme Shilton · tracks 2 and 3
- Melanie Harris · all except track 4
- David O'Meara · tracks 2 and 3
- Lyndsay Davies · all except track 1
- Anna Freeman · all except track 1
- Bruce Roberts · all except track 1
- Gregory Carr · all except track 1
- David Tains · all except track 1
- Philip Holdsworth · all except track 1
- Glenn Bardwell · all except track 1
- Tim Dowling
- Warwick Bone · all except track 1
- Gary Stevenson · all except track 1
- Sarah Hopkins · tracks 2 and 3
- Pamela Raines · tracks 2 and 3
- Robert Clarke · tracks 2 and 3
- John Hopkins · tracks 2 and 3
- Gerald English · all except track 4
- Jochen Schubert · tracks 2 and 3
- Derek Jones · all except track 4
Born in Sydney Australia, Barry Conyngham has received numerous awards, prizes and grants for composition, including Churchill (1970), Harkness (1972-74), Australia Council (1974-5), and Senior Fulbright (1982) Fellowships. He has an ARIA, two Sounds Australian Critics Awards and two Maggs Awards.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.