Debussy Preludes Book One
These first twelve preludes reveal Debussy's great achievement in composing for the piano, expending the range and orchestral quality of the instrument. Ronald Farren-Price brings exceptional sensitivity interpreting these works.
Debussy took the art of composing a giant leap beyond Chopin from which he derived most inspiration. The Preludes, composed between 1910 and 1913, have been likened to a vast palette on which are displayed the composer's every musical mood.
This recording includes all 12 preludes from book one (first released in 1986), as well as three preludes from book two (in the vault until this remastered re-issue).
Ronald Farren-Price "... a sensitive artist and a virtuoso of top rank ... he demonstrated a perfect balance between the sound and the expression of the music ... definitely a pianist of great distinction."
“Ronald Farren-Price's reading is of a world-class standard. The Preludes obviously are close to the heart of Farren-Price and his love for them can be gauged in this recording. Just listen to the way he caresses the Steinway's keys in "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair". There is mystery in "Delphic Dancers", caricature in "Minstrels", raging, hallucinatory vision in "What the west wind has seen". On every count, Farren-Price meets the demands of what ranks among the peaks of piano music.”
— Bob Crimeen, The Sun
- Danseuses de Delphes Claude Debussy
- Voiles Claude Debussy
- Le vent dans la plaine Claude Debussy
- "Le sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir: Claude Debussy
- Les Collines d'Anacapri Claude Debussy
- Des pas sur la neige Claude Debussy
- Ce qu'a vu le vent d'ouest Claude Debussy
- La fille aux cheveux de lin Claude Debussy
- La sérénade interrompue Claude Debussy
- La cathédrale engloutie Claude Debussy
- La danse de Puck Claude Debussy
- Minstrels Claude Debussy
- Broullards (Mists) Claude Debussy
- Feuilles mortes (Dead Leaves) Claude Debussy
- La Puerta de Vino Claude Debussy
- Ronald Farren-Price · piano
Claude-Achille Debussy was a French composer. Along with Maurice Ravel, he was one of the most prominent figures working within the field of impressionist music, though he himself intensely disliked the term when applied to his compositions.
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $20.00 AUD
- Release date
- June 1986
- © 1986 Move Records
- ℗ 1986 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3067
- EAN 9314574306729