An extraordinary setting befits the extraordinary music performed by the duo of Ruth Wilkinson (recorders and bass viola da gamba) and Cynthia O’Brien (baroque violin), known in musical circles as Capella Corelli.
Exploring two-part music from the late 17th and early 18th centuries, Capella Corelli recorded this long awaited repertoire of duets in the marvellous acoustic of Santa Maria Nuova, the 16th century church designed by Georgio Vasari that sits proudly on a Tuscan hill just outside the walls of Cortona Italy. The high ceilings and thick stone walls and floors create a living memory of the past, whilst the challenging acoustic implores suitable tempi and articulation within the reverent and reverberant ambience of the church. Not for the meek - Wilkinson and O’Brien rise to the challenge of this glorious setting with grace and aplomb.
The music itself, duets by Blavet, Boismortier, Patoni and Telemann, demands the skills required for two-part compositions to be performed as a shared conversation between two old and close friends - which O’Brien and Wilkinson surely are. There is great beauty in these duets, humour and disagreement, respect, melancholy dancing and sheer joy. The album is full of variety and surprises.
Capella Corelli, one of Australia's foremost baroque chamber ensembles, was formed 21 years ago. The violin works of the great Italian virtuoso Arcangelo Corelli and of his Italian predecessors were the initial inspiration for the group.
- Largo [Pour un flûte (flûte de voix et un violin par accords)]
- Allegro, ma non presto [Pour un flûte (flûte de voix et un violin par accords)]
- Adagio [Pour un flûte (flûte de voix et un violin par accords)]
- Allegro [Pour un flûte (flûte de voix et un violin par accords)]
- Prelude de M. Blavet [flûte de voix and violin] Michel Blavet
- Minuet de M. Geminiani, gracieusement [violin and bass de viole] Michel Blavet
- Gavotte de Corelli [violin and bass de viole] Michel Blavet
- Gavotte de M Handel, gracieusement [soprano recorder and violin] Michel Blavet
- Minuetto 1 and 2
Sonata in A major, Op. 51: No. 5 Joseph Bodin Boismortier
Duetto for alto recorder and violin Georg Philipp Telemann
Sonate in D major, Op. 51: No. 3 Joseph Bodin Boismortier
Sonata a due for recorder and violin in G major, Op. 2: No. 3 Giuseppe Battista Patoni
Georg Philipp Telemann (1681–1767) was a German Baroque composer and multi-instrumentalist. Almost completely self-taught in music, he became a composer against his family's wishes.
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Release date
- March 2022
- © 2021 Capella Corelli
- ℗ 2021 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MCD 614
- EAN 9314574061420