Lady Sings the Viol - The Marais Project
The concept behind "Lady Sings the Viol" was to create a CD of "covers" of popular tunes. Five very different singers individually and collectively perform songs from 1300 to the present day including music by Piaf, John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin's bassist), Schubert and Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin.
There are also superb arrangements of "She was beautiful" (made famous by Cleo Laine), "Chattanooga Choo Choo" and even a Swedish folk fiddle number. Each song is accompanied by different combinations of viols, violin, lutes, guitars, harp and percussion. Jennifer originally formed The Marais Project in 2000 to perform the complete 600 works of Marin Marais, the famed 17th century French master of the viol. They are currently more than 80% through this unique musical marathon. Along the way she has also pursued a number of innovative side projects with jazz and world musicians.
If you love interesting, out of the way music and relaxed, concert settings you will love The Marais Project! Jennifer Eriksson originally founded the group in 2000 to perform the complete works of Marin Marais an 18th century genius of my instrument, the viola da gamba. Over the years our repertoire has greatly expanded and now includes a huge range of wonderful vocal and instrumental music for the viola da gamba from the 1300s to the present day. They also commission and arrange new music for the ensemble.
“This CD is a joy to listen to, challenging notions of suitable repertoire for period instruments - highly recommended!”
— Anthony Linden Jones, Music Forum Magazine
“A triumph of arrangement and a showcase of the talents of its participants, Lady Sings the Viol demonstrates what can be achieved if musicians and performers are willing to challenge sterotypes and push the boundaries of their ‘normal’ performance envelope.
An excellent choice for lovers of world music and the quirky, but equally likely to appeal to lovers of fine voices and baroque instruments, singing and playing beautifully.”Read full review
— Mark Walker, ClassikON website
- Padam Padam Norbert Glanzberg 4:10
- Revolving Doors Elena Kats-Chernin 3:15
- La vie en rose Louis Guglielmi 3:56
- Ave Maria Franz Schubert 4:24
- Chacoña Juan Arañés 2:38
- Italian Gound (Anonymous) 3:59
- Hanacpacham cuissicuinin (Anonymous) 3:56
- Dorick Fantasy No. 1 John Bull 3:20
- She was beautiful Stanley Myers 4:11
- Muzette I & II Marin Marais 3:25
- So ell encina John Paul Jones 4:09
- Bryd one brere (Anonymous) 3:58
- Bryd bouree (Anonymous) 2:02
- Låt till Far Pers Pers Erik Olsson 3:42
- Chattanooga Choo Choo Harry Warren 2:35
- Jennifer Eriksson · viola da gamba
- Megan Cronin · voice · track 5
- Narelle Evans · voice · tracks 1 and 15
- Mara Kiek · voice · tracks 12, 13 and 15
- Belinda Montgomery · voice · tracks 3—5, 11 and 15
- Nicole Thomson · voice · tracks 7 and 9
- Imogen Granwal · viola da gamba · tracks 7—9
- Shaun Ng · tenor viol · tracks 7—9
- Catherine Upex · viola da gamba · tracks 1, 3 and 5—11
- Daniel Yeadon · viola da gamba · tracks 1, 11 and 15
- Fiona Ziegler · baroque violin · tracks 1, 2 and 14
- Tommie Andersson · theorbo · tracks 1—6, 10, 11, 14 and 15
- Jess Ciampa · percussion · tracks 7 and 15
- Alex Cronin · double harp · tracks 5, 6 and 10
- Llew Kiek · gittern · tracks 12 and 13
Franz Peter Schubert was an Austrian composer. Today, Schubert is admired as one of the leading exponents of the early Romantic era in music and he remains one of the most frequently performed composers.
In the years of the greatly popular radio program Your Hit Parade, between 1935 and 1950, forty-two songs by Harry Warren were placed in the coveted top ten. The song writer next best represented was Irving Berlin with thirty-three songs.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.