Chopin Complete Ballades and Scherzi
Having successfully tackled the complete etudes of Chopin, Ian Holtham turned his attention to the composer's complete ballades and scherzi, undoubtedly amongst his most individual and characteristic works.
World-renowned pianist Ian Holtham is no stranger to Chopin; many of Melbourne's audiences would fondly remember his marathon concert recitals of the complete etudes, which he later recorded for Move on Etudes.
The ballades and scherzi of Chopin stand among the most significant accomplishments of his output.
Professor Ian Holtham is one of the most distinguished and highly regarded pianists and pedagogues in Australia and his performances of the great Classical and Romantic repertoire have played to packed houses and rave reviews for many years.
Frédéric François Chopin was a Polish composer, virtuoso pianist, and music teacher. He was one of the great masters of Romantic music and has been called "the poet of the piano".
“His finger work is neat and clean, and Chopin's music emerges with a kind of simple honesty ... Bravo to Holtham! Bravo to Move!”
— Andrew Ford, The Australian Financial Review Magazine
“outstanding ... dramatic”
— New Classics, UK
“Holtham is a master of poise; his playing holds in tension the ruminative and dramatic aspects of the music”
— Tony Way - The Green Guide
- Ballade No 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 Frédéric Chopin 8:49
- Ballade No 2 in F Major, Op. 38 Frédéric Chopin 7:04
- Scherzo No 1 in B Minor, Op. 20 Frédéric Chopin 7:59
- Scherzo No 2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 31 Frédéric Chopin 9:37
- Ballade No 3 in A-Flat Major, Op. 47 Frédéric Chopin 7:05
- Scherzo No 3 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 39 Frédéric Chopin 6:49
- Scherzo No 4 in E Major, Op. 54 Frédéric Chopin 10:55
- Ballade No 4 in F Minor, Op. 52 Frédéric Chopin 10:10
- Ian Holtham · piano
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.