The Lord of the Rings, Volume 2
Here is the second volume of jazz composer John Sangster's classic epic musical interpretation of The Lord of the Rings. Originally a double-LP set issued by EMI over 25 years ago it has never been available on CD until now.
Musical styles range from Sangster's distinctive form of jazz, to film-like music interpreting characters and events from Tolkein's trilogy. This 2-CD set for the price of 1 CD includes 55 minutes of bonus interviews with John Sangster, Tony Gould, Graeme Lyall and Len Barnard.
Not to be confused with Howard Shore's music to the award-winning films, this trilogy is wholly Australian and was released on three double-LP sets by EMI over 25 years ago, later deleted and remaining unavailable for many years.
Written by the noted Australian jazz and film composer John Sangster, the series remains a highly ambitious and epic production. From trad jazz to film-like music, there's something on this special double CD for everyone. Plus there's extras galore for collectors including the original LP artwork (computer PDF files) and rare video footage of John Sangster in action.
John Sangster was one of the most talented Australian jazz musicians of all time, a technician and creator who embraced and understood more styles of music than any other.
“considered milestones of Australian jazz, these award-winning, long out-of-print recordings are at last being re-issued.”
— Gerry Kosta, Music Australia Guide
“[This volume has] a more percussive element to it, which renders the magic of the fantasy even more palpable. The music encompasses many jazz styles, with swing and blues very much to the fore, but some of the more esoteric or experimental moments contain harmonies not entirely dissimilar from the classical music utterances of Debussy, Ives or Antheil. Move's remastering ... is superb, replete with vivid and beautifully-balanced sound.”
— John Barnes, Libretto
- The O'Goblin Tattoo John Sangster 4:45
- The Misty Mountains John Sangster 6:10
- Beware the Barrow-Wight John Sangster 6:07
- Goldberry John Sangster 8:50
- Tom Bombadil John Sangster 5:09
- The Mirror of Galadriel John Sangster 9:55
- Blues for Denethor John Sangster 5:31
- Encore Gandalf! John Sangster 4:42
- Phantasmagoria for Moria John Sangster 4:30
- Longbottom Leaf John Sangster 7:17
- Farewell Lothlorien John Sangster 9:19
- John Sangster · keyboards and percussion
- Len Barnard · drums, percussion and keyboards
- Bob Barnard · trumpet and flugelhorn
- Alan Nash · trumpet and flugelhorn
- Bob McIvor · trombone
- Ken Herron · trombone
- Arthur Hubbard · bass-trombone and tuba
- John McCarthy · clarinet
- Graeme Lyall · soprano and tenor saxophones
- Errol Buddle · soprano, alto and tenor saxophones, recorder, oboe
- Tony Buchanan · tenor and baritone saxophones, clarinet and bass-clarinet
- Col Nolan · keyboards
- Tony Ansell · keyboards
- Ian Bloxsom · percussion
- George Thompson · bass
- D'arcey Wright · bass