Music from 12th and 13th century Spain. Features songs by Martin Codax, Marcabru and other unknown composers.
The major work is 'Siete Cantigas de Amigo ' by Martin Codax, these seven songs set in Vigo on the west coast of Spain tell of a woman waiting for her lover beside the sea. The disc also features four instrumental and vocal pieces by Marcabru and unknown composers.
La Romanesca features four of Australia's leading early music exponents, Hartley Newnham (countertenor, percussion), Ruth Wilkinson (vielle, recorder), Ros Bandt (recorders, flute, psaltery, percussion) and John Griffiths (lute, guitarra morsica).
A leading force in early music in Australia since 1978, La Romanesca has developed a special interest in the performance of mediaeval monophonic and polyphonic song, although the group's repertory spans the twelfth to seventeenth centuries.
“A well-balanced recording of rare and unusual music.”
— Australian Hi-Fi magazine
“The reconstructions of this music are truly haunting and sound right - the ultimate test”
— Sammy Breve, Australian Music Teacher Magazine
- Istanpitta Ghaetta (Anonymous) 8:52
- Lo vers comenssa Marcabru 6:44
- Lo vers comens can vei del fau Marcabru 5:15
- Saltarello (Anonymous) 4:16
- L'autrier jost' una sebissa Marcabru 5:04
- Bel m'es quant son li fruit madur Marcabru 9:15
- Istanpitta Palamento (Anonymous) 7:40
- Ondas do mar de Vigo 4:28
- Mandad' ei comigo 3:58
- Miña irmana fremosa iredes comigo 3:15
- Ay Deus, se sab' ora o meu amigo 3:30
- Quantas sabedes amar amigo 2:02
- Eno sagrado Vigo 3:07
- Ay ondas que eu vin ver 2:11
Cantigas de amigo Martin Codax
- Hartley Newnham · countertenor, percussion
- Ruth Wilkinson · recorder, vielle, tenor viol
- Ros Bandt · recorder, flute, psaltery, rebec, percussion
- John Griffiths · lute, guitarra morisca
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.
Recorded at the Move Records Studio, Melbourne Australia.
(tracks 1—4 and 7)
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 69 minutes 37 seconds
- Andrew Earle
- Move Records Studio (tracks 1—4 and 7)
Ormond College Chapel (tracks 5, 6 and 8—14)
- Release date
- © 1982 Move Records
- ℗ 1982, 2005 Move Records
- Early music, Vocal
- Catalogue number
- MD 3044
- EAN 9314574304428