Composer and keyboardist Linda Ceff presents an album of past and present inspirations juxtaposed against her own fascinating contemporary compositions.
Composer and keyboardist Linda Ceff, presents an album of past and present inspirations juxtaposed against her own fascinating contemporary compositions.
Paying homage to her influences, Linda Ceff incorporates pieces by late Romantic and Modernist composers, Stravinsky, Messiaen and Skryabin. These composers' styles and compositional techniques provide inspiration for her own compositions included on this disc, which also include multi-tracking techniques, synthesising, bells and Asian music.
These compositions explore themes of birth, life and death; spirituality, philosophy and history, often extending musical expectations through the manipulation of traditional techniques.
Linda Ceff is a composer, performer, musicologist and teacher who lives in Melbourne. She has a background of classical piano, voice training and is involved in computer music, performing in the community and research in spectral analysis.
“involving and beautifully performed.”
— State of the Arts
“a very engaging album.”
— Warren Burt, CHROMA
- Prelude, Op.17: No. 3 Alexander Scriabin 1:56
- Prelude, Op. 22: No. 4 Alexander Scriabin :40
- Prelude and Variations Linda Ceff 7:45
- Hymn Igor Stravinsky 3:22
- Carillon for Sacha Mark Pollard 2:37
- Bells and Glock Linda Ceff 3:54
- Baby Orang Utan Thomas Reiner :21
- First Communion of the Virgin Olivier Messiaen 7:39
- Baby Born to Love Linda Ceff 7:23
- Newbells Linda Ceff 8:35
- Prelude, Op. 74: No.1 Alexander Scriabin 1:35
- Prelude, Op. 74: No.2 Alexander Scriabin 1:20
- White Mass Sonata Alexander Scriabin 14:01
- Ripple Linda Ceff 1:26
- Mystic Linda Ceff 2:01
- Mistika Linda Ceff 7:19
- Linda Ceff · piano, tubular bells, glockenspiel, processed voice, synthesiser, tape
Olivier Messiaen (1908–1992) was a French composer, organist and ornithologist, one of the major composers of the 20th century. His music is rhythmically complex (he was interested in rhythms from ancient Greek and from Hindu sources); harmonically and melodically it is based on modes of limited transposition, which he abstracted from his early compositions and improvisations.
Artistic Director of the ensemble re-sound, Thomas Reiner has received numerous awards for his compositions, including second prize in the International Witold Lutoslawski Composers' Competition for Two Movements for Orchestra, the Dorian Le Gallienne Award, and in 1995 the Albert H Maggs Composition Award.
Australian composer Mark Clement Pollard has an eclectic compositional style utilising such diverse materials as, improvisation, jazz, pop and the indigenous music’s of South East Asia.
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.
Recorded at the Move Records Studio, Melbourne Australia.
(tracks 1, 2, 4, 8 and 11—14)
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 71 minutes 54 seconds
- Martin Wright (tracks 1, 2, 4, 8 and 11—14)
Vaughan McAlley (tracks 1, 2, 4, 8 and 11—14)
- Move Records Studio (tracks 1, 2, 4, 8 and 11—14)
- Release date
- © 1997 Move Records
- ℗ 1997 Move Records
- Australian, Classical, Keyboard
- Catalogue number
- MD 3168
- EAN 9314574316827