Christmas Around the Piano
This collection of songs (here without words) are pieces normally associated with Christmas. But a good tune is a good tune, so for me they should be played / heard whenever one feels like it.
Most of the tunes I remember in some form or other when I was a kid, played/sung by mum or dad on our very dodgy wooden framed upright piano. They learned and played them ‘by ear’ as they say; not one piece of sheet music in our house! But a lot of music.
My ‘hopeless’ romanticism compels me never to hurry through music, consequently these improvised versions are deliberately reflective. In that sense they invoke memories of family and friends in early years, but a reminder also that music is always a living breathing art form. Hope you always enjoy some peaceful and musical times.
Pianist and composer Tony Gould is one of Australia’s most respected musicians. His career has embraced many styles of music, not least jazz and other improvisatory musics in addition to traditional and contemporary classical musics. He gives many concerts each year and for 50 years he has been involved in an extraordinary number of recording projects both as pianist and composer and has been at the forefront of music education in Australia via various tertiary institutions in Melbourne and throughout Australia.
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas Hugh Martin 4:53
- When you wish upon a star Leigh Harline 5:57
- The Christmas song Mel Tormé 5:17
- I'll be home for Christmas Walter Kent 6:41
- God rest you merry gentlemen 3:41
- O Tannebaum 4:04
- Good King Wenceslas 4:10
- Winter wonderland Felix Bernard 3:06
- Silent night Franz Xavier Gruber 7:15
- Santa Claus is coming to town John Frederick Coots 3:54
- We wish you a merry Christmas 3:49
- White Christmas Irving Berlin 4:38
- Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer Robert May 4:56
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.