Winner of the 1998 ABC Classic FM "Listeners' Choice" Award, this double CD set brings together chamber music by Brenton Broadstock, one of Australia's most well- established and respected composers.
Winner of the 1998 ABC Listener's Choice Award!
This double CD set brings together chamber music by Brenton Broadstock, one of Australia's most well- established and respected composers.
From the earlier works 'Beast from Air', 'Aureole 3', 'String Quartet' and 'Aureole 4' to the more recent 'Dying of the Light',' 'I touched your glistening tears...', 'The Clear Flame Within' and 'Bright Tracks', Broadstock maintains a direct, uncluttered and lyrical style, in which his social conscience remains a vital element.
Includes award winning pieces:
'Bright Tracks', featuring soprano Merlyn Quaife was awarded the illustrious Paul Lowin Song Cycle Prize in 1994.
'Beast From Air' was performed at the ISCM World Music Days in Hong Kong in 1988.
'The Dying of the Light' was awarded the 1997 Jean Bogan Prize for solo piano.
'I touched your glistening tears ...' was recently awarded the Michelle Morrow Memorial Composition Award sponsored by the Anti-Cancer Council.
Brenton Broadstock is now one of Australia's most well established, respected and successful mid-generation composers.
“Brenton Broadstock is a quiet achiever as this extensive and superbly presented anthology makes clear. His music is at its best when his social conscience reacts to people; his multiply handicapped son, say, or a person living with AIDS. In these cases a tenderness both harmonic and melodic comes to the fore and the listener is left beguiled and touched. A wide variety of local artists give consistently fine performances.”
— Tony Way, The Age - Green Guide
“Deeply serious and intensely personal, Broadstock's music can connect so directly that poignancy approaches pain.”
— Andrew Scott, The Sunday Age
“they give a good perspective on Broadstock's development, especially the more expressive, lyrical elements of it, and reward careful listening.”
— Kim Lockwood, Herald Sun
- Clear Flame Within Brenton Broadstock
- Aureole 3 Brenton Broadstock
- In the Silence of Night Brenton Broadstock
- Bright Tracks Brenton Broadstock
- At the going down of the sun Brenton Broadstock
- Aureole 4 Brenton Broadstock
- Barrie Webb · trombone · track 2-4
- Genevieve Lacey · recorder · track 2
- Ian Holtham · piano · tracks 2-2 and 2-5
- Julian Warbuton · percussion · track 2-4
- Merlyn Quaife · soprano · track 4
- Choir of Ormond College · choir · track 2-3
- Petra String Quartet · ensemble · track 2-6
- Ann Murphy · harpsichord · track 2
- Clara Schütz · cello · track 1
- Linda Kouvaras · piano · track 3
- Anthony Pope · trumpet · track 5
- Dominic Perissinotto · organ · track 5
- Josephine Tan · piano · track 6
- Barry Cockcroft · soprano saxophone · track 2-5
- Megan Kenny · alto flute · track 2-1
- Grania Burke · bass clarinet · track 2-1
- Bruce Petherick · piano · track 2-1
- Julie Haskell · piano · track 1
- Stephanie Lindner · violin · track 4
- Annelies Billeter · viola · track 4
- Rachel Page · cello · track 4
- Douglas Lawrence · director · track 2-3
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.