Ambient Voice features Dean Frenkel's haunting harmonic vocals strategically placed over and within the music of outstanding Australian composers, including Mark Clement Pollard, George Dreyfus, Andrew MacGregor and the group Invention in Time.
A background introduction from the artist, Dean Frenkel: "This project arose from an original concept to record an ambient/world music album with strategic placements of harmonic vocals over and within a selection of outstanding compositions and recordings by Australia music artists. I anticipated that the musical compositions would add complexity to the sound of harmonics, while the harmonics would simultaneously contribute a unique and evocative sound to the music. My confidence in this concept came from myriad experiences of combining vocal harmonics with many instruments and music types. For me, Ambient Voice is more than an autobiographical journey of sound, it is a connection of pre-industrial with contemporary music with an added multicultural context."
This fascinating and beautiful CD also has a bonus video that features Dean Frenkel performing live and demonstrating the ancient art of vocal harmonics, together with Tom Lewis (didjeridu), Christopher Young (clarinet) and Linda Laasi (vocals).
The 12 minute video also can be seen here:
Dean Frenkel combines the ancient Tibetan technique with modern compositions, creating a unique hybrid musical form. He used his throat singing technique to smash the world record for singing a continuous note.
“it is Frenkel's haunting, otherworldly vocals that will lull you into a state of meditation, sleep or blissful calm. At last, something of merit in the New Age section.” ★★★★
— Stephen McKenzie, Melbourne Weekly
“isn't it amazing what people can do with their voices ... amazing sounds ... a euphoric soundscape.”
— Philip Adams, ABC Radio National
“get outta here!”
— Afternoon Show with Mel and Charlie, Triple J
“a very special talent”
— Andrew Denton, Enough Rope
“it's wonderful. I don't understand it [but] it's wonderful.”
— Glenn Winslade, Opera Australia
“a symphony of sound”
— Harb Gill, Herald Sun
“extraordinary vocal work ... a very powerful effect ... amazing stuff”
— Peter Clarke, 774 ABC Melbourne
“[Frenkel's voice] sounds like a hammond organ!”
— Jon Faine, 774 ABC Melbourne
— Michelle Nicole, jazz vocalist
— Stonnington Leader
“The music just washes over you.”
— Derek Guille, 774 ABC Melbourne
- Mirror of the Sky / Sea (Originally: Bathing in Stillness) Dean Frenkel Mark Pollard 6:07
- Summer Waves (Originally: Summer Etude) Dean Frenkel Kate Adam Ariel Valent 10:34
- New Year's Dawn (Originally: Sweet Light of Day) Dean Frenkel Mark Pollard 7:16
- 90 Mile Dream (Originally: Odyssey for a Lone Bassoon) Dean Frenkel George Dreyfus 6:44
- Symphony of the Earth (Originally: Gratitude) Dean Frenkel Andrew MacGregor 10:57
- Walking on a Sea of Moonstone (Originally: The Travelling Dimension) Dean Frenkel Kate Adam Ariel Valent 9:13
- Wishmaker (Originally: Between Home and Heaven) Dean Frenkel Mark Pollard 10:23
- The Wisdom of Bones (Originally: Nature) Dean Frenkel Kate Adam Ariel Valent 7:03
- Dean Frenkel · vocals
- Linda Laasi · vocals · track 5
- Gongworks Gamelan · gamelan · track 1
- Kate Adam · marimba · tracks 2, 6 and 8
- Ariel Valent · vibraphone · tracks 2, 6 and 8
- Robert Schubert · clarinet · track 3
- Zoë Black · violin · track 3
- Isin Cakmakcioglu · violin · track 3
- John Lynch · viola · track 3
- Rachel Atkinson · cello · track 3
- Matthew Wilkie · bassoon · track 4
- Andrew MacGregor · shakuhachi · track 5
- Tom MacGregor · keyboards and textures · track 5
- Graeme Shilton · alto saxophone · track 7
- Julie Raines · harp · track 7
- Peter Neville · vibraphone · track 7
Currently teaching composition at the Victorian College of the Arts, Mark Pollard completed a Masters degree at La Trobe University and has been awarded several prizes.
One of Australia's best known composers, especially the theme from the TV series "Rush", George Dreyfus was recently awarded a the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany at the Victorian Parliament House, for services to music.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.