After the Deluge (Original Soundtrack)
The soundtrack to the acclaimed mini-series by award-winning Australian film composer, Cezary Skubiszewski. Richly scored for orchestra, the music effortlessly moves from haunting violin solos, to 40s jazz, Irish airs and the original pop music of the on-screen band.
Winner of Best Soundtrack at the 2003 Screen Music Awards!
also Nominated for the 2003 ARIA Awards
Best Soundtrack to a Television miniseries
and the 2003 AFI Awards
Open Craft Award in Television for Original Music
After the Deluge is the soundtrack to the acclaimed mini-series on Network 10 (featuring David Wenham, Hugo Weaving, Samuel Johnson, Aden Young, Rachel Griffiths and Ray Barrett), by award-winning Australian film composer, Cezary Skubiszewski - of La Spagnola, Bootmen and Two Hands fame. Richly scored for full orchestra and choir, the music effortlessly moves from haunting violin solos, to 40s jazz, Irish airs and the original pop music of the on-screen band featuring one of the main characters.
"I didn't want After the Deluge to be just like a normal rock 'n' roll sort of track, because you see that a lot and it just ends up like a bunch of backing tracks ... So I had to create a very specific sound for the film and I think it's quite understated but definitely there."
(Cezary Skubiszewski on his music for After the Deluge, from a Sunday Herald Sun interview)
The story of After the Deluge weaves together the lives of four ordinary men at a critical time in their family history. The patriarch, Cliff, is suffering from Alzheimer's and has begun to live in his past. As his three estranged sons - Alex, Martin and Toby - reluctantly draw together to find institutional care for him, Cliff wrestles with the demons of his past. Buried memories of the Second World War percolate disturbingly through the mundane reality of his daily care.
Much of the story is told from Cliff's point of view in a febrile world where only the audience can piece together the reality of his life and understand the extent of his sacrifice. Against this background are woven the modern day stories of Cliff's sons as they in turn struggle to come to terms with the roles they have played as brothers, sons and men.
In the end, when the war of words quietens, it is music which offers a respite from the old resentments, and music which eventually reconciles the brothers to the loss of a man they could never be good enough for. Because of this, Cezary's soundtrack is unusually important and prominent throughout this four-hour drama - a rarity in music for television.
As is the custom of Move soundtrack CDs, this release includes a comprehensive 16-page booklet featuring a complete synopsis, details of how each track relates to the visuals, production stills and shots from the orchestral recording sessions in Melbourne. At over 60 minutes in length, this CD is a true collector's item worthy of a very special television event!
The mini-series itself is now available on DVD from all leading retailers (courtesy of MadMan / AVChannel) and amongst its many special features is a section on the soundtrack and interview with the composer.
Polish-born Cezary Skubiszewski is one of Australia's leading film composers, with award-winning hits such as La Spagnola, Bootmen and Two Hands to his credit. He is the recipient of numerous awards from the AFI, APRA and the Australian Guild of Screen Composers.
“Richly romantic ... beautiful lyrical themes ... meltingly lovely ... a splendid soundtrack album.” ★★★★½
— Jim Murphy, The Age - Green Guide
“a standalone soundtrack that comes across as perfectly cohesive despite its multifaceted elements ... Cezary Skubiszewski was inspired ... his finest soundtrack ... right up there with the best cinema soundtracks I've heard this year.”Read full review
— Brad Green, Urban Cinefile
- Deluge (Opening Credits) Cezary Skubiszewski 1:35
- Beautiful Name Cezary Skubiszewski 3:26
- Detailed Examination Cezary Skubiszewski 2:40
- Wicklow Lament Cezary Skubiszewski 1:34
- Love at War Cezary Skubiszewski 5:30
- Marty Cezary Skubiszewski 1:56
- Laudate Dominium Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 4:19
- Dancing in the Pool Cezary Skubiszewski 2:27
- The Battle Cezary Skubiszewski 2:32
- I Don't Want To Be Married To You Cezary Skubiszewski 1:58
- 'Meditation' from Thaïs Jules Massenet 5:03
- Intimacy Cezary Skubiszewski 2:03
- The Angel Cezary Skubiszewski 1:30
- Maggie in Scotland Cezary Skubiszewski 2:16
- The Last Kiss Cezary Skubiszewski 1:08
- Café Reggae Cezary Skubiszewski 3:08
- Flirting Cezary Skubiszewski 2:10
- 'Music, Spread Thy Voice Around' from Solomon George Frideric Handel 3:41
- Wicklow Lament (End Credits) Cezary Skubiszewski 4:05
- Violins Are Burning (bonus track) Cezary Skubiszewski 3:30
- Victorian Philharmonic Orchestra · orchestra · tracks 1—3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 18 and 19
- Daryl McKenzie · conductor · tracks 1—3, 5, 9, 13, 14 and 19
- Brett Kelly · conductor · tracks 7, 11 and 18
- David Ashton-Smith · choir director · tracks 7 and 18
- Cathryn Ashton-Smith · soprano solo · track 7
- Marcelle Nalette · violin · tracks 2, 11 and 14
- Nigel MacLean · violin · tracks 1, 4, 6, 9, 12, 13 and 20
- Rudolf Osadnik · violin · track 5
- Shane O'Mara · guitar · tracks 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 15 and 16
- Mario Lattuada · guitar · tracks 2 and 5
- Claude Corranza · guitar · track 17
- Charlie Rooke · guitar · track 20
- John Barrett · indian flute · track 5
- Peter O'Reily · cello · tracks 10 and 15
- Vicky Philipson · oboe · tracks 2 and 19
- Stephen Hadley · bass · tracks 3, 6, 8 and 16
- Joe Creighton · bass · track 20
- Robert Clarke · percussion · tracks 1, 5, 9, 14 and 19
- Jan Skubiszewski · percussion · tracks 1 and 6
- Peter Luscombe · drums · track 16
- John Watson · drums · track 20
- Cezary Skubiszewski · piano, organ
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. He composed over 600 works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers.
George Frideric Handel was a German-British Baroque composer, famous for his operas, oratorios, and concertos. Handel's music was well known to such later composers as Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven.
Where to buy
This title is also available in (or can be ordered through) many fine music retailers across Australia including Readings.
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 56 minutes 31 seconds
- Thanks to
- Film Finance Corporation Australia
- Release date
- © 2003 Cox-Knight Productions
- ℗ 2003 Move Records
- Australian, Classical, Orchestral, Soundtrack
- Catalogue number
- MD 3272
- EAN 9314574327229