Gabriel's Mother's Highway
Franciscus Henri presents songs from Sydney Carter, Elton John, Arlo Guthrie, and three originals. Produced by Brian Cadd, the style of the album is gentle folk-rock.
This album has a beautiful clarity, with the richness and color of Henri's voice giving a real stamp of individuality to this recording.
Producer Brian Cadd has come up with a first-class production of contemporary songs in a gentle folk-rock style. Three of the songs are by English poet and songwriter Sydney Carter: Coming or going away, Green like the leaves, and The candlelight. The title song is in a spiritual style about heaven as a place of happiness and freedom. Henri's own Song of the morning emphasises the cycles or spirals of life.
On two better-known Carter songs, Judas and Mary and Bitter was the night, Franciscus dramatises the words and allows the music to expand.
Unlike most albums which start off with the strongest material and then go downhill, Gabriel's Mother's Highway does the opposite starting gently, then building and finishing with the uplifting Friendship featuring a driving guitar solo.
While the album is excellent for its thoughtful lyrics, it also makes very good listening musically, enhanced by Brian Cadd's keyboards, Nick Alexander's piano, and Phil Gardner's guitar.
- Gabriel's Mother's Highway Arlo Guthrie
- Bitter was the night Sydney Carter
- Coming or going away Sydney Carter
- Green like the leaves Sydney Carter
- Sixty years on Elton John Bernie Taupin
- Seventh Queen Street hymn Franciscus Henri
- Song of the morning Franciscus Henri
- The candlelight Sydney Carter
- Judas and Mary Sydney Carter
- Friendship Franciscus Henri
- Franciscus Henri · vocal
- Phil Gardner · guitar
- Nick Alexander · piano · tracks 3 and 4
- Brian Cadd · keyboards · all except tracks 3 and 4
Sydney Carter (1915-2004) was an English poet, folk singer and songwriter. He has been described as a hymn-writer on the strength of his song "Lord of the Dance".
Where to buy
Move CDs can be ordered through music retailers across Australia including Readings.