Quiet on the Bridge
As with the group's previous recordings, this CD combines a range of contemporary styles and approaches, including electronic and electro-acoustic music, contemporary chamber and interactive computer music, indeterminate (open) works and improvisation.
Most of the tracks were not only performed but also created by re-sound members, reflecting the strong composer-performer overlap of the group. In addition, two guests, Russell Goodwin and Nick Wilson, have contributed their pieces to this CD. Finally, re-sound's interpretation of Keith Humble's In Five (module of Nunique) returns to the improvisatory music of the '60s.
This is re-sound's fourth CD release.
re-sound has established itself as one of Australia's most progressive contemporary music ensembles. Its thought-provoking, challenging and dynamic performances explore the sounds of our time across a wide range of genres, styles, and performance contexts.
“polished, technically assured pieces”
— Malcolm Tattersall, Music Forum Magazine May 2008
- Quiet on the bridge Brea Acton 7:17
- Dawn Thomas Reiner 1:41
- Desert factory Thomas Reiner Melanie Chilianis Paul Todd 4:08
- Sweet flute Thomas Reiner Katrina Dowling 9:55
- Pirate door Melanie Chilianis 3:38
- Transference Russell Goodwin 11:42
- Ellipsis Paul Moulatlet 5:02
- Existence (Part 1) Nick Wilson 7:34
- In five (module of nunique) Keith Humble 6:15
- Kappa Melanie Chilianis 9:49
- Time sliding, version 2 Thomas Reiner 7:50
- Thomas Reiner · electronics · tracks 3 and 4
- Brea Acton · voice · tracks 1, 2 and 6
- Melanie Chilianis · flute · tracks 3, 5 and 9—11
- Katrina Dowling · recorders · tracks 4 and 6
- Helen Eadie · violin · tracks 6, 9 and 11
- Ceri Hale · flute · tracks 6, 9 and 11
- Catherine Hocking · tenor saxophone · tracks 6 and 11
- Eddy Markovican · guitar · tracks 9 and 11
- Ken Murray · guitar · track 10
- David O'Brien · keyboards · track 2
- Paul Todd · clarinet in b♭ · tracks 3, 6—8, 10 and 11
- Thomas Dunstan · electronics · track 1
- Laura Jean McKay · voice · track 1
Artistic Director of the ensemble re-sound, Thomas Reiner has received numerous awards for his compositions, including second prize in the International Witold Lutoslawski Composers' Competition for Two Movements for Orchestra, the Dorian Le Gallienne Award, and in 1995 the Albert H Maggs Composition Award.
Melanie is a flautist and composer working with electro-acoustic sound extension and conceptual mixes in performance and installation.
Paul Moulatlet is a Melbourne-based Australian composer whose works have been performed in England, Italy, Norway, the USA and numerous Australian events, including the Melbourne International Festival of the Arts, the Melbourne Fringe Festival, and Federation Music Week: Contemporary Music of Australia and the Asia Pacific.
In 1977, Keith Humble won the National Critics Award as the most outstanding recitalist working in Australia and he was awarded the Order of Australia (AM) for his services to music in 1982. He was a constant champion of Australian contemporary music and Percy Grainger.
Where to buy
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Total playing time
- 74 minutes 51 seconds
- Thomas Reiner
- Thanks to
- Monash University
- Release date
- August 2007
- © 2007 re-sound
- ℗ 2007 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3317
- EAN 9314574331721