The Art of Melody
Jazz legends Tony Gould (piano) and Graeme Lyall (saxophone) present superb interpretations of many well-know standards. They are joined by Ben Robertson on double bass and Joe Batrouney playing drums.
Pianist and composer Tony Gould is one of Australia’s most respected musicians. His career has embraced many styles of music, not least jazz and other improvisatory musics in addition to traditional and contemporary classical musics. He gives many concerts each year and for 50 years he has been involved in an extraordinary number of recording projects both as pianist and composer and has been at the forefront of music education in Australia via various tertiary institutions in Melbourne and throughout Australia.
Graeme is widely regarded as one of the greatest jazz saxophone players and arrangers Australia has produced. As well as performing, writing, arranging and teaching at the WA Academy of Performing Arts, he is also the Artistic Director of the WA Youth Jazz Orchestra and musical director of the 50 strong WAYJO Composers Ensemble.
- Heather on the Hill Alan Jay Lerner Frederick Loewe
- Alice Blue Gown Joseph McCartney Harry Tierney
- Mona Lisa Ray Evans Jay Livingston
- Marie Louise Tony Gould
- People Will Say We’re in Love Richard Rodgers Oscar Hammerstein II
- Someone to Watch Over Me George Gershwin Ira Gershwin
- Hi Lili Hi Lo Bronisław Kaper
- The Way You Look Tonight Dorothy Fields Jerome Kern
- I’ll Be Seeing you Sammy Fain Irving Kahal
- Du, Du, Liegst Mir Im Herzen You, You, are in my heart (Traditional)
- Eleanor Rigby John Lennon Paul McCartney
- Smilin’ Through Arthur A. Penn
- Hi Lili Hi Lo [variation 2] Bronisław Kaper
- Always Irving Berlin
- Young and Foolish Albert Hague Arnold B. Horwith
- Smilin’ Through [reprise] Arthur A. Penn
Frederick Loewe (1901–1988) was an Austrian-American composer. He collaborated with lyricist Alan Jay Lerner on the long-running Broadway musicals My Fair Lady and Camelot, with book and lyrics by Lerner, both of which were made into films.
More prolific than George Gershwin (who died at 38), more popular than Stephen Sondheim and esteemed among musicians of all genres. Collectively, his catalogue of songs reads like a treasury of classics from American musical theater's golden age.
George Gershwin (September 26, 1898 – July 11, 1937) was an American composer and pianist. Gershwin's compositions spanned both popular and classical genres, and his most popular melodies are widely known.
Sammy Fain, born Samuel Feinberg in 1902, was, for over 40 years, a prolific composer for stage and screen. A self-taught pianist, as a schoolboy he plagued New York publishers with his songs.
Where to buy
- List price
- $25.00 AUD
- Release date
- March 2018
- © 2018 Move Records
- ℗ 2018 Move Records
- Catalogue number
- MD 3425
- EAN 9314574342529